The 22nd Phantom, Part 3: The Man in the Shadows
|The 22nd Phantom, Part 3:|
The Man in the Shadows
|Produced for:||Fantomen 2-3/2017|
|# of pgs:||22|
|Artist:||Rafael Ruiz &|
|Producer:||Egmont Publishing AB|
The story is set sometime in the future when a tsunami wave has levelled Morristown. General Bababu rules the capital while the rest of the country is in chaos. The Phantom has been missing for a whole year.
After a furious attack on The Jungle Patrol, colonel Worubu has been taken prisoner. Old man Mozz has lost his eyesight after having met the spirit of the evil medicine man Ch'Gaan, thought to have died 200 years ago.
As trouble is brewing in the jungle, Kit dressed as The Phantom rides to a meeting with the chieftains of the tribes to renew the peace treaty of the golden ox. Kuntu of the Bawante and his followers plan to attack the meeting until it is revealed that Kuntu has killed the Bawante chieftain. As Kuntu flees into the jungle, Kit tries to stop him but discover that Durru mushrooms has made Kuntu unnaturally strong.
Meanwhile Heloise, also dressed as The Phantom, rides to Phantom Head Peak to challenge Ch'Gaan. In a cave she meets his evil spirit, called forth by another evil medicine man, Kigali Lubanga, who has recovered his memory after the tsunami wave. He has taken the colonel Worubu prisoner in order to challenge The Phantom. Heloise, who tells him that she is The Phantom's sister, will do for now for Lubanga. Intending to cut her heart out, Lubanga is much stronger than her both spiritually and physically and Heloise has a hard time protecting herself.
- Kit and Heloise
- Old man Mozz
- Kigali Lubanga
- Colonel Worubu
- General Bababu
- Kuntu of Bawante
- The statue of the Golden Ox
- Durru mushrooms
- "The 22nd Phantom, Part 1: The Empty Throne" by Claes Reimerthi and Paul Ryan
- "The 22nd Phantom, Part 2: Baptism of Fire" by Claes Reimerthi and Alex Saviuk
- "The Drummer of Timpenni" by Lee Falk and Sy Barry
- "The Giant Bird of Gandor" by Lee Falk and Sy Barry
- "The Mysterious Cave" by Idi Kharelli and Georges Bess
- "The Redeemer, Part 3: The Army" by Claes Reimerthi and Bob McLeod
- "Death of Lubanga, Part 2: The Last Battle" by Claes Reimerthi and Hans Lindahl
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "The 22nd Phantom, Part 3: The Man in the Shadows", The Phantom #1794 (2017)
- "Det 22. Fantomet, del 3: Mannen i skyggene", Fantomet 10/2017
- "Den tjugoandra Fantomen, del 3: Mannen i skuggorna", Fantomen 2-3/2017