The Lost Kingdom of Avaria
|The Lost Kingdom of Avaria|
|Start date:||September 27th, 2009|
|End date:||March 21st, 2010|
|# of strips:||26 pages|
|Original colorist:||Tom Smith|
|Preceded by:||"The Love Triangle"|
|Followed by:||"The Dirty Half-Dozen"|
After spending some time in Baronkhan, the Phantom and his family leave on horseback. Not far from the city gates they discover a group of injured cartographers. They are brought to Baronkhan and report to prince Rex that they were attacked by female warriors dressed in Roman style plate armour using spears and swords. The Phantom explains that the cartographers have entered the land of Avaria. The 10th Phantom once visited this land populated by survivors of the persecutions of the Romans and the Franks. It is decided that the Phantom and his son should travel to Avaria to do some investigation.
Riding into Avaria they meet a group of soldiers on horseback in Roman style plate armour who welcome the Phantom and Kit to Avaria. They are brought to the city gates where drawings are made of all visitors into a register.
While the Phantom and Kit are having lunch, the drawing is compared with earlier visitors and it is discovered that the current visitor looks just like the 10th Phantom whose likeness is also in the register after a visit in 1748. Later that night a group of three soldiers visit the Phantom and Kit's lodgings to arrest them. With Kit hiding on the roof, the soldiers are no match for the Phantom who rides to the royal palace to meet with the khagan who rules Avaria. She poisons him and the Phantom is put into a cell with three arrested cartographers from Baronkhan.
Kit finds a cannon and blows a hole into the palace wall, freeing his father and the three cartographers. With Kit and the three cartographers riding ahead out of Avaria, the Phantom captures the khagan and brings her to Baronkhan as a prisoner. Prince Rex and the Khagan decide that their countries must have friendly relations and exchange ambassadors.
Some time later the Phantom is in the Skull Cave writing down the story. He promises Heloise that soon he will take her also on an adventure.
- The current Phantom
- Kit and Heloise
- Captain Lara (mentioned only)
- The Khagan of Avaria
- The 10th Phantom (mentioned only)
- Colonel Petroc
- Avarian soldiers
- Avarian advisor
- Avarian innkeeper
- Phantom moves faster than lightning!
Behind the scenes
- The story title refers to Avaria as a Kingdom, but since it is ruled by a Khagan it is actually a Khaganate.
- Avaria is supposedly founded by descendants of the Avar people.
- The 10th Phantom's visit to Avaria was 262 years earlier, and the 21st Phantom writes in a chronicle marked 2009–2010.
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "The Lost Kingdom of Avaria", The Phantom #1566 (2010)
- "Avaarien kadonnut valtakunta", Seura 27/2011 – 51-52/2011 - without the last week
- Sudha Weekly November 5, 2009 – April 29, 2010
- The Asian Age May 16, 2010 – October 17, 2010
- Deccan Chronicle May 16, 2010 – October 17, 2010
- Anandamela July 20, 2010 – January 20, 2011
- "The Lost Kingdom of Avaria", The Phantom #5 (2020)
- Sunday Nation September 27, 2009 – March 21, 2010
- "El reino perdido de Avaria", La Prensa Gráfica January 31, 2010 – September 19, 2010
- "Kayıp Avaria Krallığı", Kızılmaske #41 (2017)
- Daytona Beach News-Journal September 27, 2009 – March 21, 2010
- Galveston County Daily News ?, 2009 – ?, 2010
- Reading Eagle September 27, 2009 – March 21, 2010
- El Nacional January 31, 2010 – September 19, 2010