|Start date:||January 8th, 1996|
|End date:||May 18th, 1996|
|# of strips:||101 (17 weeks)|
|Artist:||George Olesen & Keith Williams|
|Preceded by:||"Raiders of the Eastern Dark"|
|Followed by:||"Drama on Eden"|
The Mafia rules the city where Lily and Dave Palmer lives. The two latest mayors promised to be tough with the mafia; one was falsely accused of corruption and the other died in a car crash. Dave decides to candidate for the post as the new mayor.
The mafia does not like this and threatens Dave, who then becomes certain of the necessarity of his candidacy. Meanwhile Diana and the twins arrive to the Palmers. The leader of the mafia is called Mr Big and he decides to also candidate for the post as mayor. The threats makes Dave realize that his life might be in danger and arranges so that some former paratroopers would guard him, he himself is a warhero and held the rank of colonel.
The mafia the kidnaps Kit and Heloise and threaten to kill them if Dave does not withdraw his candidacy before five o'clock, in time for the evening news. Then the Phantom appears, he advices Dave to wait with withdrawing his candidacy while he rescues the kids, he also understands that the kids have seen the gangsters faces and therefore would never allowed to live, though he cannot tell Diana that.
The Phantom then takes Mr Big hostage in his own office and threatens to break every bone in mr Big's body if his kids are harmed in any way. Mr Big then calls down to the basement where the kids are kept, but the guards refuse to believe that it is him due to his nervous voice. The Phantom and mr Big then go down to the basement where the Phantom quite easily defeats the guards. Kit and Heloise then make a phone call to the Palmers where Diana is so happily surprised to hear that her kids is alright that she starts to cry.
Mr Big is sent to prison and Dave Palmer is left as the only candidate in the election. Dave observes that he joined the election to stop the mafia, but the Phantom ended the mafia before he even had the time to start.
- The Phantom
- Diana Walker
- Dave Palmer
- Lily Palmer
- Kit and Heloise
- Dr. Henry
- President Gorach (in flashback only)
- President Lumanda Luaga (in flashback only)
- Mandrake (in flashback only)
- Prince Lothar (in flashback only)
- Hzz (in flashback only)
- Rex (in flashback only)
- Mayor Bob
- Mayor John
- Mr. Big
- United Nations Secretary-General
- Ivory-Lana (mentioned)
- New York
- Palmer residence
- Kennedy Airport
- Boston (mentioned)
- New York
- United Natond
- The Mob
- There are times when the Phantom leaves the jungle and walks the streets of the town like an ordinary man.
- Voice of angry Phantom can freeze tiger's blood.
Behind the scenes
- Lee Falk's real name was Leon Harrison Gross, Gross is German for "Big", hence, though possibly unintentionally, Lee Falk could be called "Mr. Big", the name of the villain of this story.
- The twins are said to be eight years old, the same age as in "The Twins' 8th Birthday".
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "Mr Big", The Phantom #1142 (1996)
- Anandabazar Patrika ? – ?
- "தேர்தலில் கொள்ளைக்காரன்" (romanized as "Therdhalil kollaikararkal"), Rani Comics #328
- "Cacciatori e prede" and "Zio David, candidato sindaco", Phantom #372
- The Daily Gleaner January 8, 1996 – May 18, 1996
- El Informador December 1, 1997 – May 5, 1998
- "Bay Büyük", Kızılmaske #29 (2016)