Mandrake's Bon Voyage
|Mandrake's Bon Voyage|
|Start date:||April 21, 2013|
|End date:||November 24, 2013|
|# of strips:||32|
|Original colorist:||Terry Beatty|
|Preceded by:||"Revenge in Rhodia"|
|Followed by:||"Death Stalks|
the 5th Phantom"
Mandrake and Narda invite the Phantom and Diana for a masquerade cruise vacation. The Phantom suspects (correctly) that there is a hidden motivation for that invitation. Mandrake admits that the cruise ship has a significant portion of Cockaigne's treasury in its cargo, going to the US for safekeeping. He asks Phantom for help in protecting the ship's Captain and seeking would-be robbers.
The Phantom and Mandrake goes to the cruise, when one of the robbers (one redhead girl with the codename "Cinderella"), takes her costume and goes to one dance in the cruise, when she meets with her two other partners (one brunnete and one blond girl, codenamed "evil stepsisters").
The girls prepare and take their guns, meanwhile Mandrake and the Phantom goes to the Jacuzzy with their wives, but in that moment the girls take the cruise and with his guns, take the comand of the cruise ship, the cruise goes changes his destination to a remote island.
But Mandrake with his GPS notes this and with Walker, goes to the Captain command, where Mandrake with one illusion of a big iceberg changes the course, but the robbers go to the place and prepare to kill everyone in the room. But The Phantom takes the redhead's gun and Mandrake with other illusion, convinces the other two girls that they are floating in open air, disarming them.
When they think that always was better, the redhead in one cell says to Mandrake and the Phantom, that his boss was going to kill they with or without the gold, in other dance in the cruise, Mandrake and the Phantom see that one guy dont want the gold and all the time only want to destroy Mandrake, they best option was goes to the remote island.
That day Mandrake and the Phantom takes the Redhead and with and empty gun, goes to the remote island in a little boat, the phantom goes without his sidearm because the boss was expectting unarmed prisioners. While in transit, the Phantom tells Mandrake and the girl that he believes that someone that knows Mandrake very well is behind all this.
When they arrive at the island they discover that Luciphor was behind all the plot. The Phantom and Luciphor say hello and remember the old times and the same time the redhead see that The Phantom and Mandrake are her best chance.
But Mandrake and The Phantom believe that they are behind the hands of Luciphor, the really true is that some kind of Criminal that call himself "Mind Switch" is behind all, this criminal has Luciphor under his power due to a bomb on his neck, which Mind Switch controls by telekinesis. It is revealed that Mind Switch is after the Crystal Cubes, powerful artifacts that are featured in various Mandrake stories.
Mind Switch activates the bomb in Luciphor's collar just after letting it free and giving Luciphor a moment to throw it away, and it explodes. Later that Mind Swicht show him to Mandrake that he wasn't joking about his power. He says to Luciphor to put one Collar in the neck of his brother before he is allowed to go.
But when Luciphor goes closer with the collar, The Phantom takes the gun of the hands of the redhead and shot to the heands of Luciphor later with Five good shots the phantom do tha the collar goes foward and later this device explotes.
- Mandrake the Magician
- The current Phantom
- Diana Palmer-Walker
- Kit and Heloise
- Luciphor, a.k.a. The Cobra
- Mind Switch
- Theron (Mandrake's and Luciphor's father; mentioned)
- Captain L.K. Stanley
- Unnamed redhead criminal (member of "The Team"), sometimes in "Cinderella" costume
- Two accomplicces (members of "The Team") in "Evil Stepsister" costumes
- Incognito Cruise Lines
- "The Team", a criminal gang
- A Cruise Ship from "Incognito Cruise Lines"
- The Crystal Cubes (powerful items from various Mandrake stories)
Behind the scenes
- This is the first appearance of Mandrake's arch enemy Luciphor in a Phantom story.
- A character who appears in the masquerade in this story later makes a cameo appearance in a "Rex Morgan, M.D." story from 2017 by Terry Beatty.
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "Mandrake's Bon Voyage", The Phantom #1682 (2013)
- Sudha Weekly May 23, 2013 – December 26, 2013
- The Asian Age November 24, 2013 – July 6, 2014
- Deccan Chronicle November 24, 2013 – July 6, 2014
- Anandamela June 5, 2014 – February 5, 2015
- Sunday Nation April 21, 2013 – December 1, 2013
- El Informador March 22, 2015 – July 19, 2015 - without the first fourteen weeks
- "El buen viaje de Mandrake", La Prensa Gráfica April 28, 2013 – ?, 2013
- "Mandrakes trevliga resa", Smålänningen March 7, 2014 – October 3, 2014
- "Mandrakes Bon Voyage", Fantomen 6-7/2015 (colored by Reprostugan)
- "Mandrake ile Yolculuk", Kızılmaske #44 (2017)