The Love Triangle
|The Love Triangle|
|Start date:||March 29th, 2009|
|End date:||September 20th, 2009|
|# of strips:||26 pages|
|Original colorist:||Paul Ryan & Tom Smith|
|Preceded by:||"The Jungle Lesson"|
|Followed by:||"The Lost Kingdom|
Prince Rex of Baronkhan is burdened by his tedious administrative duties, eg. signing documents that his advisors present to him. The Phantom and his family Diana and their children arrive on horseback for the royal ball. Rex tells them that he is a bit anxious about meeting the guest of honour, princess Alicia of Shambad. They haven't met for many years and Rex is concerned since many years ago he had asked her to marry him. The Phantom doesn't think that something Rex promised as a child is of much concern. Rex tells them that he is in fact in love with somebody else, his bodyguard captain Lara.
Travelling in a horse and carriage, princess Alicia discusses prince Rex with her advisor. The advisor tells princess Alicia that she and prince Rex should get married in order to promote trade. Riding along the carriage, an army general and the chief of security are unhappy with the state visit to Baronkhan and discuss that it would be necessary to kill prince Rex to stop a union between him and princess Alicia.
Captain Lara is visiting her elderly foster parents. She feels very grateful to them since they found her abandonded as a baby and took care of her. She dreams romantically of a marriage between herself and prince Rex.
Arriving to Baronkhan, princess Alicia and her court is greeted by prince Rex. After showing her to her room, prince Rex try to speak a few words with captain Lara but feels that he only makes a fool of himself. At the ball, the two royals are happily dancing with each other, convincing captain Lara that prince Rex only has eyes for the princess. Walking out in to the park, the princess kisses prince Rex. Following behind as his bodyguard, captain Lara discovers that the Shambad army general and the security chief have hidden in the bushes to shoot prince Rex. Captain Lara captures the security chief while the Phantom in civilian clothes captures the army general.
Suddenly captain Lara falls to the ground, shot during the incident. As the Phantom carries the unconcious bodyguard to find a doctor, prince Rex exclaims to Diana that she must not die since he hasn't told her his feelings for her.
A few days later. With the royal visit over, princess Alicia leaves for Shambad; she and prince Rex promising to stay in touch. Captain Lara is nursed back to health in the royal palace and is visited by her parents. Speaking privately, prince Rex understands that she is also an orphan just like himself. She explains that she can never become a princess. Prince Rex holds her hand and tells her that they will take the time they need.
- The current Phantom
- Kit and Heloise
- Princess Alicia
- Captain Lara
- Captain Lara's foster parents
- Sharana army general
- Sharana chief of security
- Sharana counselor
- Baronkhan counselors
- "Prince Rex and Princess Alicia" by Lee Falk and Sy Barry
- "Prince Rex - Kidnapped" by Lee Falk, George Olesen, and Keith Williams
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "The Eternal Triangle", The Phantom #1558 (2009)
- "O Triângulo Amoroso", O Fantasma #11 (2021)
- Seura 50/2010-25-26/2011
- "Ερωτικό Τρίγωνο" (romanized as "Erotiko Trigono"), Blek #22 (2022)
- Sudha Weekly May 7, 2009 – October 29, 2009
- The Asian Age November 8, 2009 – May 9, 2010
- Deccan Chronicle November 8, 2009 – May 9, 2010
- Anandamela January 5, 2010 – July 5, 2010
- "The Love Triangle", The Phantom #5 (2020)
- Sunday Nation March 29, 2009 – September 20, 2009
- La Prensa Gráfica ?, 2009 – January 24, 2010
- "Aşk Üçgeni", Kızılmaske #41 (2017)
- Daytona Beach News-Journal March 29, 2009 – September 20, 2009
- Reading Eagle March 29, 2009 – September 20, 2009
- El Nacional ?, 2009 – January 24, 2010