|Yet another year with Covid-19 has left the Scandinavian Chapter without our usual sources of income. No meetings and no fairs equals zero income for us.|
So if you are a Phan of the Phantom and like the service we provide to you and fellow Phans, through this PhantomWiki we therefore, ask you to donate to the cost of running it.
The Hit Men
|The Hit Men|
|Start date:||April 28th, 2003|
|End date:||August 30th, 2003|
|# of strips:||108 (18 weeks)|
|Artist:||George Olesen &|
|Original colorist:||KFS staff|
|Preceded by:||"Jungle Mystery"|
|Followed by:||"The Connoisseurs"|
"The Hit Men" is the 208th Phantom daily story. The story was written by Tony DePaul and drawn by George Olesen and Keith Williams.
Two men (Frankie and Paulie) with hunting rifles block the road with a fallen tree, then kill two Wilderness Adventure guides and steal their pickup truck and identification. They go to Trader Joe's Trading Post and are about to lead a group of customers on a two-week tour. They intend to kill one of them, a young woman named Cici. A pair of Jungle Patrol men ride up, ask for their permit, then take them to Colonel Worubu. He checks their stolen IDs and lets them go, but alerts The Unknown Commander that something feels off. The Phantom follows the group.
The fake guides send Cici into the jungle with a rigged compass, to get her lost. Devil finds her and licks her face. The killers are surprised when she shows up at camp in the morning. Then they set up a zipline "accident" for her. When she gets her turn, they cut the rope and she falls into the river gorge, but she is rescued downstream by the Phantom, Hero, and Devil.
The trekkers reach a native village, where the fake guides learn of a hungry tiger prowling nearby, so they send Cici out that way to get water. The Phantom rescues her from the inevitable tiger attack and starts following the group, letting them think she died. Cici tells him of witnessing a mob killing in New York City, and the Phantom figures that the fake guides are working with that mob. They report her demise to the Jungle Patrol, giving a false location.
As they drive off through the jungle, the Phantom and Hero ride in front of them, causing them to crash. They get out and talk, so the Phantom hears them admit to killing the real guides, before skull-marking their chins. Later, “Mr. Walker” is in the courtroom for Cici’s New York testimony.
- New York
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "The Hit Men", The Phantom #1365 (2003)
- Horsens Folkeblad September 2, 2008 – January 9, 2009
- Anandabazar Patrika January 1, 2004 – May 6, 2004
- "The Hit Men", The Hit Men (2011)
- "The Hit Men", The Treasure Hunters (2011; excerpt)
- "The Hit Men", Evil's Nemesis (2011)
- "The Hit Men", Enemy of Evil (2011; excerpt)
- The Daily Gleaner April 28, 2003 – August 30, 2003
- El Informador February 21, 2011 – June 14, 2011
- Østlendingen ? – November 17, 2004
- Lofotposten ? – November 17, 2004
- Østlandsposten ? – November 23, 2004
- Finnmark Dagblad ? – December 23, 2004
- Romsdals Budstikke ? – December 29, 2004
- Sunnmørsposten ? – January 7, 2005
- Nordlys November 3, 2004 – March 11, 2005
- Telen November 5, 2004 – March 11, 2005
- Haugesunds Avis December 23, 2004 – May 4, 2005
- Aftenposten December 28, 2004 – June 3, 2005
- Oppland Arbeiderblad February 9, 2010 – June 23, 2010
- Bergensavisen November 6, 2015 – February 18, 2016
- Svenska Dagbladet February 8, 2004 – June 16, 2004
- "Suikastçiler", Kızılmaske #36 (2016)
- Bangor Daily News April 28, 2003 – August 30, 2003
- Observer-Reporter April 28, 2003 – August 30, 2003
- The Plattsburgh Press-Republican April 28, 2003 – August 30, 2003
- Reading Eagle April 28, 2003 – August 30, 2003