|Yet another year with Covid-19 has left the Scandinavian Chapter without our usual sources of income. No meetings and no fairs equals zero income for us.|
So if you are a Phan of the Phantom and like the service we provide to you and fellow Phans, through this PhantomWiki we therefore, ask you to donate to the cost of running it.
|Produced for:||Fantomen 2/1980|
|# of pgs:||32|
|Writer:||Jaime Vallvé & Ulf Granberg|
"The Ambassador" is a 1980 Team Fantomen story, written by Ulf Granberg based on a plot by Jaime Vallvé, with art by Jaime Vallvé.
Rex' and Tom-Tom's physics lesson becomes an opportunity to tell the story of how the 12th Phantom met the United States founding father Benjamin Franklin in 1776. After visiting Walker's Table, the Phantom arrives in Philadelphia, seeking passage on a ship across the Atlantic. The British has a blockade but the Phantom sneaks aboard the ship Maryland who will leave at night. Also on the ship is the newly elected US embassador to France, Benjamin Franklin.
While at sea, an attempt is made on Franklin's life but he is saved by the Phantom. Franklin and the Phantom become good friends, discussing natural science and playing chess during the passage. As they arrive in Europe the ship is attacked by the British navy but the ship is saved when the French navy rescue them. They spend some time at the French court at Versaille together.
One night Franklin is kidnapped and the Phantom suspects British agents. He concludes that the kidnappers most likely will try to take Franklin to England and rides to Calais. A small boat takes him across the Channel where he learns that Franklin may have been taken to Grinder castle east of Dover. At the castle he finds Franklin locked in a cell. Using a kite he makes the lightning strike down and remove the bars in the cell window.
Returning to Dover, they hide in whiskey barrels that are exported to France.
- Lieutenant Cardy
- The earl of Upminster
- New Mexico
- "The Highway Robbers" by Claes Reimerthi and Janusz Ordon.
Behind the scenes
- Benjamin Franklin was sent to France as ambassador in December 1776.
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "The Ambassador", The Phantom #1398 (2004)
- "Ambassadøren", Fantomet #168 (1981)
- "Ambassadøren", Fantomet Krønike #1 (1994)
- "Suurlähettiläs", Mustanaamio 8/1980
- "Ambassadøren", Fantomet 11/1980
- "Ambassadøren", Fantomets Krønike 1/1991
- "Ambassadøren", Krønikebok #12 (2003)
- "Ambassadøren", Fantomet Gullalderen #8 (2012)
- "El embajador", El Hombre Enmascarado #33 (1981)
- "Ambassadören", Fantomen 2/1980
- "Ambassadören", Fantomen Krönika 3/1996
- "Ambassadören", Fantomen Krönika Band 4 (2002)
- "Der unheimliche Passagier", Phantom #169 (1980)
- "Der unheimliche Passagier", Phantom Super-band #41