The Test (Team Fantomen story)
|Produced for:||Krönika över en vandrande|
|# of pgs:||25|
The Phantom and Diana are in the Tree House, when Diana discovers an old greeting card that her husband sent her for her fourteenth birthday. Diana then recounts that for some reason, he missed that birthday. The Phantom tells her that it was because he was busy then and explains what happened.
He and Diana's birthdays nearly coincide and when he was about to become seventeen and was known as Kip, Guran fetched him in America and took him to Bangalla. After a birthday party in the Skull Cave, he is informed that he is about to go through a test to prove that he is worthy of becoming the Phantom. He will begin the next morning and will have to be back at sunset the same day.
The next day he leaves the Skull Cave and manages with most of his tasks, but when he enters a swamp to fetch a rare orchid, he saves a woman in distress who turn out to be the betrothed bride of Wambatta, the future chief of Wambesi. She has been kidnapped by thugs in order to force Wambatta to give them the necklace of Solomon. Kip decided to help her while also finishing his test, well aware that helping her would make it impossible for him to finish the test before sunset. Kip brings the woman to safety and then confronts the thugs, taking everyone out as Wambatta is about to hand over the Necklace of Solomon. The 20th Phantom is contacted by Wambesi and informed of the mysterious helper, and realizes that it is Kip who has helped them. He goes to the last place where his son would go to before returning home. There, he finds his son fast asleep, having done all the tasks, but failed to returned to the Skull Cave in time.
The 20th Phantom wakes Kip up and the son confesses that he did not make it in time because he was held up by "a few things" that delayed him. Having heard the story from the Wambesi, the 20th Phantom realizes that it is something of an understatement and that the boy had confronted reality as it sometimes turns out to the Phantom, therefore he informs his son that he has passed the test.
After listening to the story, Diana asks if their son will do the test as well, but the Phantom answers that both Kit and Heloise will do the test.
- The 21st Phantom
- Diana Palmer-Walker
- Kit and Heloise
- Wambatta of Wambesi
- The 20th Phantom
- Maude Thorne McPatrick
- Wamong of Wambesi
- Wandy of Wambesi
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "The Test", The Phantom #1029 (1992)
- "The Test", The Phantom #1125 (1996)
- "The Test", The Phantom #1708 (2014)
- "The Test", The Phantom Action Adventure Series: The Test / Barbary Pirates (2001)
- "The Test", The Phantom #11 (2001)
- "The Test", The Phantom #10 (2003)
- "The Test", The Adventures of the Ghost who Walks #7 (2003)
- "The Test", The Adventures of the Ghost who Walks: The Test / Barbary Pirates (2007)
- "The Test", The Adventures of the Ghost who Walks: Guardian of Truth (2007)
- "The Test", The Test and Barbary Pirates (2010)
- "The Test", Guardian of Truth (2010)
- "Provet", Krönika över en vandrande vålnad (1990)
- "Provet", Fantomen 5/1993
- "Provet", Fantomen Krönika 5/2001