The Avenger from the Sea
|The Avenger from the Sea|
|Produced for:||Fantomen 2/1978|
|# of pgs:||35|
The Phantom is visiting Mawitaan with Rex where President Luaga is opening an exhibition of the 18th century ship Vengeance which has been salvaged with the help of Swedish experts. At lunch in the Presidential palace the Phantom tells how the ship played a role in a story concerning the 8th Phantom.
The 8th Phantom is riding with the Jungle Patrol from the Skull Cave to Sanloi. Sanloi is a small kingdom ruled by King Mahmoud Toghrul. A trading ship has returned filled with gold to be shared by the ship's investors in Sanloi. But first a great party will be held in the royal palace. King Mahmoud welcomes the ship's captain back. The captain tells the king that to the very last a pirate ship had followed them.
As the sun settles, a pirate ship led by Captain Blood is waiting offshore. Captain Blood has a spy in Sanloi who has reported that a great feast will be held and that nobody is expecting an attack. The pirates attack, the guards too drunk to put up any resistance. The pirates ransack Sanloi and before leaving the pirate captain take the Princess Yasmin with him to prevent the king and his men from shooting at the pirate ship as it leaves. If the Phantom or anybody else interferes the princess will be hanged from a yard.
Later, the king receives a message from Captain Blood that he will release the princess in exchange for the Phantom. The Phantom comes to the pirate ship unarmed where captain Blood shoots him in the back. As he falls into the sea, loyal Bandars rescue him. The pirate ship sails off with the princess still onboard.
The Bandars take the Phantom back to the Skull Cave. The Phantom is dying and asks that a message be sent to Kit and Lady Ingrid who is visiting Sweden. The Bandar Bamba is sent away but luckily Kit and his mother have decided to make a surprise visit and Bamba finds them in Morristown. As the Phantom is dying, his son Kit swears the oath to become the 9th Phantom.
The Phantom returns to Sanloi with the Jungle Patrol. Captain Blood's Sanloi spy, Billy Bones, is found quickly and he reveals that the captain has sailed to his hiding place Terror Island off the coast of Madagascar. The Phantom and the Jungle Patrol go ashore on the island, capture the pirates and rescues the princess.
- The 21st Phantom
- Lamanda Luaga
- The 6th Phantom (mentioned)
- Redbeard (mentioned)
- The 8th Phantom
- The 9th Phantom
- Lady Ingrid
- Black Carver
- Captain Blood
- Captain Hood
- King Mahmoud Toghrul
- Princess Yasmin
- Abu's Father
- Billy Bones
- Able Gun
- Terror Island
- The Vengeance
- Wasa (mentioned)
- "There are times when the Phantom leaves the jungle and walks the streets of the town like an ordinary man."
Behind the scenes
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "The Avenger from the Sea", The Phantom #1403 (2004)
- "Hevneren fra havet", Fantomet 11/1978
- "Hevneren fra havet", Fantomet 6/1986
- "Hevneren fra havet", Fantomets Krønike 2/1990
- "Hevneren fra havet", Fantomets Krønike 3/2001
- "Hevneren fra havet", Krønikebok #8 – #9 (2002)
- "Hevneren fra havet", Fantomet 7/2017
- "Hämnaren från havet", Fantomen 2/1978
- "Hämnaren från havet", Fantomen 14/1986
- "Hämnaren från havet", Fantomen Krönika 4/1995
- "Hämnaren från havet", Fantomen Krönika Band 3 (2001)
- "Hämnaren från havet", Fantomen 10-11/2017
- "Phantom und der Kaperkapitän", Phantom #125 - the first half only (1979)
- "Phantom und der Kaperkapitän", Phantom Super-band #21 - the first half only
- Best story (Sweden) 1978