|Produced for:||Fantomen 2/1980|
|# of pgs:||32|
Rex' and Tom-Tom's physics lesson becomes an opportunity to tell the story of how the 12th Phantom met the United States founding father Benjamin Franklin in 1776. After visiting Walker's Table, the Phantom arrives in Philadelphia, seeking passage on a ship across the Atlantic. The British has a blockade but the Phantom sneaks aboard the ship Maryland who will leave at night. Also on the ship is the newly elected US embassador to France, Benjamin Franklin.
While at sea, an attempt is made on Franklin's life but he is saved by the Phantom. Franklin and the Phantom become good friends, discussing natural science and playing chess during the passage. As they arrive in Europe the ship is attacked by the British navy but the ship is saved when the French navy rescue them. They spend some time at the French court at Versaille together.
One night Franklin is kidnapped and the Phantom suspects British agents. He concludes that the kidnappers most likely will try to take Franklin to England and rides to Calais. A small boat takes him across the Channel where he learns that Franklin may have been taken to Grinder castle east of Dover. At the castle he finds Franklin locked in a cell. Using a kite he makes the lightning strike down and remove the bars in the cell window.
Returning to Dover, they hide in whiskey barrels that are exported to France.
- Lieutenant Cardy
- The earl of Upminster
- Benjamin Franklin was sent to France as ambassador in December 1776.
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "The Ambassador", The Phantom #1398 (2004)
- "Suurlähettiläs", Mustanaamio 8/1980
- "Ambassadøren", Fantomet 11/1980
- "Ambassadøren", Fantomets Krønike 1/1991
- "Ambassadøren", Krønikebok #12 (2003)
- "Ambassadøren", Fantomet Gullalderen #8 (2012)
- "El embajador", El Hombre Enmascarado #33 (1981)
- "Ambassadören", Fantomen 2/1980
- "Ambassadören", Fantomen Krönika 3/1996
- "Ambassadören", Fantomen Krönika Band 4 (2002)