|Start date:||August 25, 2014|
|End date:||December 27, 2014|
|# of strips:||108 (18 weeks)|
|Preceded by:||"Terror's Mutiny"|
|Followed by:||"John X, Part 2"|
The Phantom ends an evil man's murder spree, but is snake bitten. Burning with fever, he strips off his clothes and then removes his rings, hallucinating that he is giving them to Kit for him to continue the legacy. He then collapses. When he awakes, he has lost his memory, but together with Devil, he finds a house and clothes. He notices that he wears a mask and has a fear of showing people his face. He therefore picks up a pair of dark glasses and wears them instead of a mask. He takes a car and drives by instinct to the Jungle Patrol Headquarters together with Devil.
At first, he is thought to be a criminal as he has used the bad guy's car. His snakebite, however, soon convinces colonel Worubu of the genuiness of his amnesia, although the Puff Adder (as he identifies the snake as) is supposed to inject enough poison to kill five men. Until his identity has been established, he is called John X.
Through some tests, they come to the belief that John X is a Law Enforcing officer with his dog who was injured in the line of duty. For the time being, he works with the Jungle Patrol, awaiting the final order of approval from the unknown commander.
To be continued.
- The Phantom
- Colonel Worubu
- Captain Weeks
- Patrolwoman Hawa Aguda
- Patrolwoman Kay Molloy
- Lee Falk
- Kit and Heloise
- Diana Palmer-Walker
- Patrolman Stern
- Patrolman Wise
- "It is terror for an evil man to awake in darkness and see the Phantom."
- "Phantom rough on roughnecks."
- "When the Phantom asks, you answer."
- "He who sees the Phantom's unmasked face will die a horrible death".
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "John X", The Phantom #1744 (2015)
- The Freeport News August 25, 2014 – December 27, 2014
- Hitavada October 22, 2014 – December 6, 2014
- "জন এক্স" (romanized as "John X"), Anandabazar Patrika July 2, 2015 – ?, 2015
- The Daily Gleaner August 25, 2014 – December 27, 2014
- "John X", El Informador October 22, 2014 – February 24, 2015