The Tulip Swindle
|The Tulip Swindle|
|Produced for:||Fantomen 5/1982|
|# of pgs:||40|
In September 1635, the 4th Phantom save a Dutch ship from a pirate attack off the coast of Bengali. Seriously injured and with memory loss, the Phantom is taken care of by Wilhelmina, a merchant's daughter, as the ship continues to the Dutch republic. Arriving to the city of Voorhout, the grateful merchant van Doeldon offers him a job as a scribe. Wilhelmina has grown very fond of Chris from Bengali.
The Phantom hears how money can be made quickly by buying and selling tulip bulbs. Mayor Krabber borrows money to people who would like to invest in these bulbs. When the price suddenly decreases many people of Voorhout are at risk of losing their possessions when they can not repay the loan. Chris is asked to travel to England to sell the bulbs at a profit. Krabber's men manage to steal the bulbs and knocking Chris down in the process, which leads to his memory starting to return. With his memory restored, Chris remembers that he is the Phantom and he and Wilhelmina manage to steal the bulbs back by confrontation (the Phantom is a much tougher guy than Chris).
When they finally arrive in London to sell the bulbs the price has gone down there as well. Returning to the Dutch Republic, the Phantom manage to sell the all but worthless bulbs to the mayor, disguised as His Royal Highness Christian, the crown prince of Bengali. The mayor pays him 500 000 gulden and with this money the indebted people of Voorhut can repay their loans to the mayor.
The Phantom return to Bengali. Wilhelmina start to grow tulip bulbs commercially and the company exists to this day.
- Moraga, mori fisherman
- Bujuran, bandar
- Van Doeldon, merchant
- Wilhelmina, van Doeldon's daughter
- Krabber, mayor
- Jaan de Wat
- Emile van Doeldon
- The story begins in September 1635 and it is not stated how long the Phantom stayed in the Dutch Republic. The price of of tulip bulbs incresed during 1635 and 1636 until the prices fell dramatically in February 1637.
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "Tulipansvindelen", Fantomet #203 (1982)
- "Tulppaanisalaisuus", Mustanaamio 14/1982
- "Tulipansvindelen", Fantomet 14/1982
- "Tulipansvindelen", Fantomets Krønike 4/1994
- "Tulipansvindelen", Krønikebok #4 (2001)
- "Tulipansvindelen", Fantomet Gullalderen #17 (2014)
- "Tulpansvindeln", Fantomen 5/1982
- "Tulpansvindeln", Fantomen Krönika 3/1994
- "Tulpansvindeln", Fantomen Krönika Band 2 (2000)