The Runestone Saga
|The Runestone Saga|
|Produced for:||Fantomen 25-26/2012|
|# of pgs:||32|
In the summer of 1879 the 17th Phantom travels by ship to USA to visit Walker's Table. He first makes a stop in Boston to visit his wife's parents who bring him news of trouble in Minnesota where his maternal uncle Jens Jensen lives. The Phantom arrives in Alexandria, Minnesota after an arson attack on Jensen's newspaper. Jensen blames the attack on Mr Pillsbury, a rich businessman who has made a fortune illegally logging timber on Indian lands.
In the saloon the Phantom meets a Swedish emigrant, Sven Fogelby, who is helping Pillsbury to create a false runestone; its "discovery" will attract Scandinavian immigrants who will pay Pillsbury handsomely for mostly useless land in the Kensington swamp.
- The 17th Phantom
- The 21st Phantom
- Kit and Heloise
- Mary Stillwell (mentioned)
- Kit, the future 18th Phantom (mentioned)
- Asta Jensen (mentioned)
- Parents of Mary Stillwell
- Jens Jensen, Asta Jensen's brother
- Sven Fogelby
- Ignatius L. Donnelly (mentioned only)
- Walker's Table (mentioned only)
- Copy of the Kensington Runestone
Behind the scenes
In the Swedish translation, Jens Jensen initially calls Kit "brorson" (son of my brother) but perhaps he was still in shock after the arson attack. Later in the story Jensen correctly use "systerson".
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "The Runestone Saga", The Phantom #1650 (2012)
- "Runesteinens gåte", Fantomet 25-26/2012
- "Runstenens gåta", "Fantomen 25-26/2012