The College Kid
|The College Kid|
|Start date:||May 9, 2011|
|End date:||August 13, 2011|
|# of strips:||84 (14 weeks)|
|Original colorist:||KFS staff|
|Preceded by:||"Chatu's Fate"|
|Followed by:||"A Detente with Crime"|
A lonely river in Bangalla.
A couple of thugs is trying make a boy computer genius hack into world finances, but is troubled by poor equipment. The genius has, however, e-mailed the Jungle Patrol about everything without them knowing anyhing.
Suddenly, the Phantom storms in and takes the kid, then he returns and takes the gang out. When the Phantom returns, the kid identifies him as the Phantom, having been told about his existence by his professor. The Phantom has a slight wound and needs some medical attention, but he pretends like nothing and takes the thugs and the genius on the way to the nearest Llongo village. En route, the young genius notes that the Phantom is injured, but is immediately told to not let the thugs know.
After the Phantom has left the thugs and the genius at the Llongo village, he heads into the jungle, but soon stops and tries to take out the bullet with a knife, though with no success. Then the genius shows up and helps him, having audited courses in advanced medicine. After the genius has removed a bullet and patched the Phantom up, it is time for introductions. He introduces himself as E. Chesley Bowe, with a Ph.D. in six months, his friends calls him E. Chesley.
When they arrive at the Llongo village, the Jungle Patrol has already picked upp the thugs and they could be seen leaving. E. Chesley thereby misses his ride back to campus. The Phantom then takes him there. En route, E. Chesley starts speculating about the nature of the Phantom and that pretending to be him would get him a lot of girls. Then, he proudly announces that he did his undergraduate work in 18 months and that is to become the world's third youngest Ph.D. E. Chesley continues to bragging about all that he has has done until the Phantom finally asks him to be quiet.
Later, the Phantom's wound has started to bleed again, so they start walking, which will go easier on the wounds, before they camp. In the morning, the Phantom is uncounscious but E. Chesley manages to wake him up. At the Phantom's instructions, E. Chesley cuts the stitches and burn the wound with a small walnut-sized stone. Then, the Phantom takes him back to his professor.
- E. Chesley Bowe
- Professor Elimu
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "The College Kid", The Phantom #1612 (2011)
- The Freeport News May 9, 2011 – August 13, 2011
- El Colombiano June 4, 2011 – September 9, 2011
- The Daily Gleaner May 9, 2011 – August 13, 2011
- El Informador June 15, 2011 – August 15, 2011 - without the first three weeks
- Bergensavisen November 29, 2011 – February 22, 2012 (the last strip was also reproduced on February 23, 2012)
- Nordlys April 14, 2011 – July 24, 2012
- Sandefjords Blad August 3, 2012 – November 8, 2012
- Østlendingen August 18, 2012 – November 23, 2012
- Agderposten August 25, 2012 – November 30, 2012
- Tønsbergs Blad September 14, 2012 – December 20, 2012
- Lindesnes October 6, 2012 – January 15, 2013
- Gudbrandsdølen Dagningen October 15, 2012 – January 24, 2013
- Østlandsposten November 3, 2012 – February 12, 2013
- Lofotposten November 16, 2012 – February 25, 2013
- Fædrelandsvennen November 24, 2012 – March 4, 2013
- Romsdals Budstikke December 3, 2012 – March 12, 2013
- Grimstad Adressetidene December 11, 2012 – March 26, 2013
- Varden May 28, 2013 – September 2, 2013
- Aftenposten February 13, 2014 – May 12, 2014
- "Vidunderbarnet", Fantomet 4/2015
- Svenska Dagbladet July 22, 2012 – October 13, 2012
- Tidningen Ångermanland ?, 2012 – September 11, 2012
- Örnsköldsviks Allehanda ?, 2012 – September 11, 2012
- Folkbladet ?, 2015 – November 2, 2015
- "Underbarnet", Fantomen 18-19/2015