Nat Turner's Spirit, Part 2
|Nat Turner's Spirit, Part 2|
|Produced for:||Fantomen 12/2015|
|# of pgs:||22|
|Producer:||Egmont Publishing AB|
While the 16th Phantom and Pinkerton agent Amanda Bee are searching New Orleans for a ship named Gloria Scott, seven conspirators meet at a plantation outside the city to have a look at the skull of dead rebel Nat Turner who had led a rebellion in 1831. Their planning is interrupted when one of the servants, Luther, is discovered listening outside the door. Suspecting him of having heard their plans, Massey the plantation owner decides to whip him and put him to work on the cotton fields.
Self-styled voodoo queen Marie Laveau meets a client, a dock worker who needs protection since four dock workers have been murdered with their throats cut and eyes gouged out. Laveau is concerned that this may be the work of a bokor, a male voodoo witch. The bokor gets a dock worker bitten fatally by a snake and subsequently, after the burial, the worker's dead body is resurrected and turned into a zombie.
The Phantom and Amanda Bee finally find the ship Gloria Scott and that the fixer Sullivan go aboard to speak with the captain. The Phantom sneaks aboard and discovers that the ship is transporting crates of rifles. Discovered, the Phantom is tied to the ship's paddle wheel and almost drowns before he can get away. At her hotel, Amanda Bee is attacked by Paddy Mahoon's men but manages to get away on the rooftops.
- The 16th Phantom
- Amanda Bee, Pinkerton agent
- John F. Scott, member of US congress
- Paddy Mahoon, boxer
- Salmon P. Cheatham, prosecutor
- John Taylor Massey, plantation owner
- Robert Pendleton, owner of Louisiana Herald
- Hugo Lopez
- James Seward, ship owner
- Montgomery Stuart, gambler
- Forrest Wood, Pinkerton agent
- Luther, servant
- Job, dock worker
- Fred, police officer
- United States
- New Orleans
- Gloria Scott, paddle steamer
- "Nat Turner's Spirit, Part 1" by Claes Reimerthi and Kari Leppänen
- "Nat Turner's Spirit, Part 3" by Claes Reimerthi and Kari Leppänen
- "Nat Turner's Spirit, Part 4: A Diabolical Plan" by Claes Reimerthi and Kari Leppänen
- "Nat Turner's Spirit, Part 5: Revolt" by Claes Reimerthi and Kari Leppänen
- "Nat Turner's Spirit, Part 6: The King of Louisiana" by Claes Reimerthi and Kari Leppänen
Behind the scenes
- The original Swedish story has a subtitle that was not translated into English by Frew; "The Gloria Scott Mystery".
- Gloria Scott is also the name of a fictional ship in a Sherlock Holmes story, "The Adventure of the Gloria Scott.
This story has been published in the following publications:
- "Nat Turner's Spirit, Part 2", The Phantom #1735 (2015)
- "Nat Turners ånd, del 2: Mysteriet “Gloria Scott”", Fantomet 8/2015
- "Nat Turners ande, del 2: Mysteriet 'Gloria Scott'", Fantomen 12/2015